Generations

Thursday, September 22, 2011

2.5--Saying Goodbye to Snuffle

Not long after Feng and Olive were married (and I mean literally minutes after all of the guests left the party), Olive went into labor.  

"I don't care what my mom wishes. NO.MOAR.KIDS!  Sybil can help her fill that damn wallet!!!!"

Feng wasn't much help.

A few more curse words and punches from Olive for getting her into this mess, and Feng officially entered a labor-induced meltdown.

Once Olive and Feng got their bearings straight, they deduced that their most viable option of having a healthy baby safely (as well getting access to an epidural) was to rush to the hospital.

About three hours later (and much cursing later), Olive gave birth to a little girl.  They had yet to pull a name from a hat, as per the agreement with Mar, so Olive and Feng settled on 'Little Lex' for the time being (as Feng seemed to think that their new daughter was the spitting image of a female Lex Luthor). <<<Nerd, remember?

"Not the most charming resemblance to make, dear."

Feng shrugged. "She's bald and cranky... a perfect Lex Luthor if you ask me. Plus, she'll laugh about it later."

Olive laughed. "I think you have that mixed up.  We'll laugh about it later, but she certainly won't."

"Then we'll have blackmail material.  A win-win situation, if I say so myself."

"And this is why I love you." Olive smirked.

The Next Day...
After a sleepless night, the family gathered the next morning to take part in the naming ritual that Olive and Mar had concocted.  Not wanting Feng to miss out before he had to go to work, the Dennis-clan woke up extra early so everyone could be there.

Olive pulled the first name out of the hat. "Eliza." She declared.

The whole family grimaced.  "I call a re-do!" Feng yelled.

Olive laughed. "All right. Her name will be... Harper?"

Mya smiled. "I like it. Harper Dennis. Has a nice ring to it, I think."

"I agree." Feng offered. The rest of the family consented to the name and then congratulated Adamaris on her name choices.  

Once Feng had scuttled off to work (reluctantly), Grandpa Robert dared Corri, Olive, and Ada to a videogame contest (of which he won... multiple times).

"I may be old, but I still got it!" He declared.

While Mya decided to give Olive a break from watching the baby and introduce herself to her new granddaughter, Harper.

"Looks like we don't have to call you Lex anymore... thank goodness." Mya said laughing.


Olive decided to use her break from watching the girls wisely, and went straight to the tattoo parlor.


She got a butterfly, which represented her daughters.


And a dragon on her left hand to symbolize the union of the Cho and Dennis family.


Back at home, Adamaris went to play on the trampoline after losing her third consecutive videogame to her grandfather.  
She also decided to change into her pajamas in order to go outside and play for some reason. *shrug* To each his/her own, I suppose.


She wasn't very good at it.


Luckily her Uncle Snuffle was willing to show her the ropes.


"The trick is to find your momentum and then go with it."


"Momentum?"


"Yeah! It's easier with two people.  When I land, you begin your jump and my momentum will catapult you into the air."


"It's working!" Adamaris yelled as she went sailing through the air. "It feels like I'm flying!"


Corrigan laughed. "Just don't jump too hard or else you'll go flying over our fence and into the street.  Your mom will never forgive me if that happens."


Later that night, when Feng returned home, Adamaris decided to preside over the dinner table.


"Dad! Daaaad? DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDD?"


Feng laughed as Adamaris became more desperate to get his attention. "What is it, my Queen?"


"I order you to read me a bedtime story tonight.  The one with all the fairies."


Feng bowed his head in mock reverence. "As you wish, milady."


While Olive was upstairs bonding with Harper.
And looking like a total creeper while doing it.  Seriously, WTF??


It was that very night that Corrigan decided to tell his family the news he had been withholding since he first received his acceptance letter.


"As you are all aware, tomorrow is my birthday..." Corrigan began, "...and since I really want to move out on my own as soon as I become an adult, I decided to apply to some colleges."


"Well that's great!" Robert offered.


"Well then I bet it's great to hear that I got accepted to my preferred university... in France."


"In FRANCE?!" Mya gasped. "But that's... that is thousands of miles from here Snuffle."


Corrigan nodded sheepishly. "I know, mom.  The distance is a little scary, but they have a really great business and art program there and since I'm hoping to dual major in both, I figured I might as well go to the best."


"Well I think that is fantastic Corri. Congratulations! But I also think that this is a conversation for you, mom, and dad.  C'mon Ada, Feng... let's leave them to it."  Olive ushered Feng and Adamaris out of the living room to give them some privacy, but not before Feng gave Corrigan a congratulatory thumbs up and Adamaris offered a weak smile in support.


As soon as they had the room to themselves, Mya and Robert took some time to clear their thoughts... while Corrigan waited uncomfortably for their reply.


"Are you sure you want to do this?" Mya asked.


Corrigan nodded firmly. "Yes. I have my heart set on this, ma."


Mya looked to Robert, who gave her a nod and a smile.  She didn't want her son to leave (her last child to leave), but she knew she needed to let him go if that is what he wanted.


She sighed heavily, allowing all the built up worries she had be released, before finally consenting. "If this is what you want Corri, then you go for it.  I'm not happy that you are moving so far away, especially since this is your first time living on your own, but I trust your instincts... most times, at least."


Mya pulled him into a quick hug before scuttling off to her room.  Corrigan knew that she was crying, and was trying to get away from the scene so he wouldn't witness it. 


"Will mom be okay?"


Robert pulled his son into a hug. "She will be. She just has a hard time letting you kids go."


"Usually you're the one that cries though."


Robert laughed. "Hey! Those are manly tears of testosterone and I only shed them once you guys have already left."


"What about the girls' graduation?"


"My eyes were just a little sweaty that day."

"Sure, dad.  I'll let that excuse go... this once."


Robert winked. "Thanks, son.  And don't let your mother fool you, we are both extremely proud of you."


And with that, Robert joined Mya in their room while Corrigan contemplated his coming birthday and move.


The Day of Corrigan's Birthday Extravaganza...
The whole family gathered for Corrigan's birthday; wishing to usher in his new era as they had done when they became adults.


Adamaris and Sybil were especially excited.


And then the all-too-familiar sparkles engulfed him, forcing him to grow up even if he didn't care to. 
He became quite a handsome man, albeit with extremely colorful hair and a questionable 5 o'clock shadow.


Corrigan was even more excited when he realized he still had cake to look forward to.  


When everyone had finally left, Corrigan spent his last night with his niece helping her with her homework.


"You'll still keep in touch, right?" Adamaris suddenly asked while he was explaining the solution to a problem.


Corrigan smiled. "Of course I will.  I'll always be your Uncle Snuffle... I'll just be a bit further away is all."


"France is farther than 'a bit.'" Ada smirked.


"You're right.  But my point still stands.  I'll answer whenever you call, and write back whenever you write... we'll still be family, just separated for a time."


"You'll answer the phone, even if I call while you're in class?"


Corrigan laughed. "Let me amend my statement. I'll call you back whenever you call... if I don't answer that is."


Adamaris nodded. "Okay... remember, you made a deal that you would keep in touch and I'll be angry if you break it."


"Then let's shake on it, to make it official."


Adamaris and Corrigan shook hands, before he brought her up to bed and tucked her in.


"I love you Uncle Snuffle."


"I love you too Mar."


After putting Ada to bed, Corrigan finished packing up his room.  He got a sudden wave of nostalgia when he looked at the etched drawings he made on his bedroom wall and remembered how this tiny, confined space had always been his sanctuary when he needed to get away.  He was certainly going to miss this place and miss his family, but it was time to make a name for himself... to learn to stand on his own without his parents aid.


"It's time to go to France!" Corrigan said aloud, hearing his voice echo off the empty walls.  He smiled. "It's time to grow up."


The next morning, at the crack of dawn, the whole family gathered outside to say goodbye to Corrigan.


Mya, Robert, and Adamaris gave him a final hug while Olive slapped him playfully on the shoulder for the last time and Feng gave him a wide smile.


"Well... this is my cue to go.  I love you all, and I'll give you call mom when I get there."


Mya nodded.  She knew if she said anything, she would start crying; so she kept her words minimal.


Pretend you don't see toddler Harper.  I couldn't fit her birthday in here plot-wise, but you'll all see it next chapter. *waves hand* It's all an illusion!


After the goodbyes, Corrigan left to build his future.  Although he was severely regretting his choice of transportation to the airport. "Damn bike!" He yelled, on his way down the hill just outside the Dennis household.


Mya laughed. "Who wants to bet he doesn't make it to the airport on time?"


"Considering he took the shittiest bike we have, I'm willing to throw some money into the pot." Olive offered.


Robert scoffed. "Language, young lady. You're in the presence of children!"


And just like that, one Dennis was beginning his first steps to adulthood; while the rest of the Dennis-clan bet against his fresh start.


For the record, Corrigan did make it in time for his flight... so the bet be damned! Corrigan showed them!

-----------------------------------------
This won't be the end of Snuffle.  He'll be making a not-so-small appearance in the Harris Legacy, once I get everything finished here and officially move on to the new Generation/Blog (as I'm sure I've stated time and again... reiteration is key, or something).


Here is the close-up of the exceptional Mr. Snuffle, in all his multi-colored hair glory.

And because I really like this picture with all my little heart; here he is strikin' a pose.

Anyway, these are the "official" updates:


  • Feng is at Level 3 of his Science career (Contraption Manipulator)
  • Olive is *finally* at Level 2 of the Athletic Trainer career (Body Builder); and like I said last chapter, she is frakkin' buff... I call her McMuscles now.

Well, that's about it.  Time to move on to Chapter 22, I say!

6 comments:

  1. TODDLER HARPER IS CUUUTE : P I SEEEEE HEEEER!

    Oh man Snuffle got attractive! I mean, he was already attractive. But come on! He's overdoing it as an adult! And he looks very... french. I think the word it.

    I love Olive's tattoos. They're very nice. I always forget to add tattoo photos when I roll that. xD Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Corrigan will be around for the next legacy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. French is definitely a good description for Corri. He has that whole vibe about him. I guess he'll fit in quite nicely in his new country then. : )

    And I definitely forgot to capture all of Olive's tattoos before the game meltdown; so that's probably all you'll ever see. In other words, I feel ya'! I almost always forget to take pictures of new tats... oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @yang: Me too! I was sad that I wasn't able to capture a lot of his awesome moments (prom for instance) and fit it into the legacy plot-wise; so now he'll have his chance to shine in the spotlight for a bit before Harper fully ages up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sad to see snuffle go :( but it was inevitable!

    Did he grew those colours in his hair out of himself? Or was there someone who helped a bit? Hehe.

    Ooh I meant to ask earlier but do you use a career mod?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shamelessly admit that I gave him the odd colored hair. He looks better with blue. ;)

    I do use Twallan's Careers. :D

    ReplyDelete