Generations

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

1.9--Another Dennis Spawn

After a chaotic morning of dragging the girls out of bed and making sure they both got ready for school, Robert pulled Mya aside and took her to the study that he had been strategically hiding away from the rest of the family.

Mya was surprised when she entered. "Robert, It's wonderful! Where did you find the time to do this? I never heard anything out of this room except the occasional grunt... which I mistook for something else."

When she saw the confused look on Robert's face, she elaborated. "You know, a man... alone in a room... with a computer."

"Oh... gosh Mya. Do you think I would actually do that while the girls were home? I don't want to scar them.  Plus, I get plenty of what I need from you."

"Uh huh." Mya giggled.

"Anyway... Do you really like it?" Robert really wanted a change of subject... and stat.

"I love it, but you're really pushing for a boy aren't you?"

"Well... I tried making the room as gender neutral as I could, but I have a feeling this one will be a boy.  I was right with Olive, wasn't I?"

"And here I thought it was supposed to be the mother who could sense these things.  How is it I'm the one in the dark, the person who is carrying the kid for nine months?!"

"Well, we've never really been sticklers for tradition.  I just pretend I have some preternatural psychic link with our future kids while you get the blessing of a physical link with them."

"If by 'physical,' you mean carrying the kid, getting fat, and having chronic back aches... I wouldn't necessarily attribute 'blessing' with the trials of being pregnant.  But... it is occasionally awesome to feel them moving inside you, if you forget the creepiness of it being a living being that will pop out eventually."

"Aw c'mon... you love it."

Mya smiled. "I do."

"Well, off to work I go.  I probably won't be back until dinner or later, I have a case involving a missing person that will most likely have me running around town for the duration of the day."

Mya pulled him into a hug. "But you'll miss the fun of breaking the news to the girls!"

"You can always wait until I get home?"

"Nah.  It will probably be better if I tell them alone.  You know, girl-to-girls."

"All right.  Well I'll see my ladies when I come home then."

Robert didn't want to admit it out loud, but he felt relieved Mya was willing to take this on her own.  Not that he expected much fuss from the girls, but he was a little squeamish about the potential "birds and the bees" topic.  "If I attempt that conversation, it will most likely end with me somehow convincing them to be celibate," he thought to himself.

So Mya did some minor cleaning around the house, waiting for the girls to return from school.

And also managed to curse at almost every appliance in the house, particularly their ancient laundry machine. "That's it. Once the baby is born and settled, the first purchase we're making is a new washer.  This shit-master just isn't going to cut it any further."

Eventually Mya's cuss-battle with the appliances was was cut short when the girls *finally* returned home. 

She waited until they finished their homework and settled down from their school day... feeling that while they were playing video-games was the perfect opportunity to broach the subject. 

"So Olive, Sybil.  Momma has some news to tell you."

"You're having a baby." Olive replied nonchalantly while losing the last race to Sybil.

"Uh... yeah.  When did you guys figure it out?"

"Well dad was trying to sneak in a crib into the study while he thought we were occupied outside..." Sybil replied.

"... And your stomach is growing... And you're wearing ugly clothes..." Olive continued.

Mya laughed.  Apparently the girls were either more observant than she realized, or she and Robert really needed to work on their sneaking abilities.

"Well..." Mya sighed, "...that was much easier than I was expecting."

"What's it going to be?" Sybil asked.  She genuinely hoped that the conversation she overheard between her mom and dad this morning was correct, that they would be getting a little brother.

"I don't know yet.  I decided to stay in the dark, like we did with you Ollie, as your father seems to love guessing the gender."

Olive and Sybil exchanged a quick glance before replying unanimously. "Can we name it?"

Mya immediately flipped through all the horrible names the children might choose for their sibling.  If their dolls' names were any indication, she was definitely worried. "Well... what were you two thinking of?"

"Bailey for a girl and Corrigan for a boy." Sybil stated simply.

"We wanted names that could have cool nicknames, like Bales for Bailey and Corri for Corrigan." Olive finished, looking hopefully at her mother.

Mya, much to her surprise, approved of both names.  "How long have you two been discussing this?" Mya asked, giggling to herself as she pictured them browsing baby name books and planning ahead for weeks while she and Robert had just begun the preparation themselves recently.

"A couple of days. Do you like them?" Olive still had that hopeful look on her face, the look that she and Sybil gave to their father when they really wanted something.  The look that was now melting Mya into butter.

"Well, I like them... but let's worry about that once your new brother or sister actually exist outside mommy's stomach, deal?"

"Deal." Sybil and Olive replied excitedly.

When Robert returned home, it was obvious that the news had been taken well as Olive was excitedly touching Mya's stomach hoping to "feel a real live baby" like it was some kind of weird experiment; while Sybil, despite her apparent fear of actually touching Mya's stomach in case she "accidentally breaks something," was enthusiastically discussing what she may have in common with her future sibling, such as her love of the color gray. (Which Mya thought was an odd thing to be so adamant about sharing with a sibling, but hey, at least she was excited).

The days continue on as normal in the Dennis household.  

Mya's belly continues to grow; "I can't get any bigger, right?  I mean, I already look like a beached whale... what the hell would be the next size-up if I do get any fatter?!" Sure, Mya was somewhat fascinated by the pregnancy process, but she was starting to feel like it was going on forever... and she was only growing larger.  Was she going to implode?!

As if answered by fate, and most likely Mya's incessant ranting about being overdue, she finally went into labor.

On the way to the hospital, Robert expressed his excitement in the form of loudly ranting for a boy. "It's going to be a boy...it's going to be a boy... it's going to be..."

"...a boy! We get it Robert. Now get me into that hospital!" Mya's patience was wearing thin. At this point, she just wanted the kid out of her. "If this is a boy..." Mya continued, "... this is the last kid, capiche?"

Sensing his wife's obvious frustration, Robert readily agreed while laughing to himself. "Understood. Last kid. By the way, it's totally going to be a boy."

...and Robert was correct.  They welcomed a healthy baby boy into the Dennis clan.

(Robert glitched in the hospital, so he can be seen creeping in the background behind the transparent doors. I left him there for a bit for the laughs...)

Once safely home, the girls couldn't wait to see their new sibling.

"What did you name him?" Olive asked, bouncing around her mother with excitement.

"Corrigan, right?" Sybil offered.

Mya and Robert glanced at each other, they had been practicing this conversation since she told Robert that the girls picked out names. 

"Oh man. We totally forgot." Robert said, feigning disappointment.

"Yeah. Sorry girls. We decided to name him Snuffleupagus, Snuffle for short. You said you wanted him to have a cool nickname, right?"

The girls just stared at their parents in disbelief.  Olive imagined all the kids making fun of her brother, and she couldn't really help him since his name was so terrible.

When Robert couldn't hold his laughter in any longer, he broke the silence. "Girls... calm down.  We named him Corrigan, as you two suggested.  We decided we quite liked the name."

Olive released a sigh of relief, while Sybil looked a bit disappointed. "I kind of liked the name Snuffle, once I thought about it."

Olive giggled. "Yeah... well, he would have hated it."

As Mya put Snuffle... she means Corrigan to bed, she couldn't help but think that her and Robert still got it when it comes to the trickery department.  "We may not be very good at sneaking around the girls, but I'll be damned if they can out-smart us!"


 
Now the Dennis clan was complete... they finally had their last child.

"We need to stick together. This house is a battlefield full of girls, and we're the underdogs." Robert laughed to himself as he snuggled his new son. "Ah... we'll plan battle strategies tomorrow." 

-------------------------------------------
My pictures got fucked up when I changed the format of the blog... just pretend you don't see it.  IT'S AN ILLLUUUUSSSSIOOONNN! *waves hand*

0_0



Anyway, ignore the discrepancies in the first pictures (Mya in her work uniform when she was clearly in her new preggo outfit last chapter).  I had an issue with a glitch and had to revert back to a previous save, but in my haste to get everything back to normal, I *totally* forgot to take pictures of the baby room while she was pregnant... so these older pictures had to do. *sigh*


I had the pregnancy glitch, except a little different than everyone else was experiencing.  Mya was pregnant two days past the three day mark and as soon as I started freaking out thinking I had to terminate and pollinate to fix the issue, she went into labor.  Really strange.


Also, Olive's IF doll disappeared through the floor randomly (which was okay since she wasn't going to use it), but then it effing re-appeared. Now I get the message every so often that Fluffy wants to come out and play... eff that. Sorry Fluffs, but you're staying in Olive's inventory indefinitely (or until I can find a way to make it permanently disappear). *cue evil laugh*


Keep an eye open for Chapter 10 (or not since I'll most likely remind everyone); it's a fun one. Or at least it is in my head since I haven't started it yet.  Details, right?
 

6 comments:

  1. I love Mya. xD She's an awesome character. I can't wait to see what Snuffle looks like... and yes. I will be calling him Snuffle from now on. I agree with Sybil. That would have been a fun name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact that the kids know before they're told!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the conversation about a man alone in a room with a computer. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto Melissa. I was cracking up reading their first conversation. LOL, I'm still giggling about it.

    And the sisters are adorable. I love their interactions! They seem to get along so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!

    @Cece: Mya is definitely my favorite character so far this generation (if it wasn't obvious already), even though Robert is my heir. Oh well.

    @Ali: I thought that would have been a funny element. I'm glad you liked it!

    @yang: It's funny... I actually had that conversation with my roommate and decided to integrate it into the story. Real life fueling fiction, right?

    @buckley: Olive and Sybil are definitely close... although they do have some trials coming up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, Snuffle! <3

    Oh, I hate that pregnancy glitch. My pregnant sim was pregnant for 4 weeks before I finally decided I was sick of it and tried to set her on fire (I didn't know about the Terminate option). Did you know that pregnant sims can't die? Apparently, gestating life makes you impervious to death. Oddly poetic.

    That's a really creepy glitch. o_o

    ReplyDelete