Generations

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

1.16--Too Young To Be An Adult


Mya and Robert were relieved to see that Olive was determined to still go to school despite her current circumstance.  They were also proud that their family had managed to stick together during the tumult; even Corrigan was coming out of his self-imposed isolation (and also not playing with Pi as much, which made Mya very happy).

Hayley had been coming over to the Dennis household more than usual to help out however she could.  Since Sybil's coming out, Mya and Robert had made more of an effort to include Lee in their family gatherings; she had essentially been apart of their family since the girls were children anyhow and they were proud that someone was able to, at the very least, chip away at Sybil's many neuroses (someone besides Olive, that is).

But Lee was visiting the household for a different reason on this particular day; Olive had asked Hayley to get information about Randolph.  He had been missing from school for the past week and ignoring her calls, and since Hayley's father worked closely with Randolph's, Olive figured that Lee was her best chance of getting the truth... discreetly.

"I have news for you." Hayley began. "And it's not good news."

Olive sighed. She had been expecting as much. "Lay it on me Lee."

"Randy has dropped out of school and joined a local gang.  His father has kicked him out the house for it."

"Jesus! Why hasn't he told me any of this?"

Hayley shifted nervously where she stood; obviously stalling.

"What is it Hayley?"

"There's more.  But I'm not sure I should tell you in your present condition."

Sybil rested her hand on Lee's shoulder. "Tell her. She needs to know."

"Well... his dad let it slip that he has already found a new residence... with a particular person."

"Hayley, just tell me already." Olive was losing her patience.

"He moved in to the Bayless household... with Laquita.  And apparently they are more than just roommates."

Olive looked away, letting her thoughts gather all the information she had just heard.  So Randy's reputation was a timid version of the truth.  He was a pretentious flirt sure, but nowhere did anyone mention conniving bastard.

"How long have they been together?"

"Two years, off and on.  They are officially 'on' again as of his big-move though."

"Well, this is just great.  Now I can add 'cheater' to the long list of insults he'll be getting once I actually get a hold of the dick-face."

"Wait..." Sybil interjected, "...you're not planning on confronting him while you're pregnant?"

"Damn straight I am! My current hormonal imbalance is making the idea seem glorious... plus, maybe I'll get the chance to belly-flop the bastard.  Can you imagine this beach-ball of a stomach landing on you?  I'll be a human wrecking ball!"

Sybil and Hayley laughed.  They both knew she was using humor as a means to hide her true feelings, like she always did, but this was not the time to point it out.

"I still think it's a bad idea." Sybil said.

"Yeah, well... I seem to be full of them lately."

Days passed, and Olive's belly expanded, becoming more and more of a reminder of what was to come.  She had yet to get any new information on Randy and he was still not answering his phone. Olive decided that it was best to focus on school and her baby's health; and when or if the moment ever came that Randy would decide to talk to her, she would tell him the truth... including her new opinion of him.

Corrigan was surprisingly excited to be an Uncle, albeit not for the reasons that Olive had anticipated.

"Will I get to be the boss of it?" Corrigan was sick of being the baby of the family and constantly being told what to do by his older siblings.  This was his chance! He could finally be in charge of someone that wasn't imaginary.

Olive laughed. "Well if we're going to be technical, I'm actually the boss of him or her.  But you would get to help, sure." 

Corrigan smiled. He would take what he could get. "Will you make them call me Uncle Snuffle?"

"You know it!"

"Damn."

Olive looked at her brother in mock surprise. "My dear baby brother! Why would you sully our heart-felt conversation with such a despicable word?"

"What? You and mom say it all the time." 

"Well... don't say it front of mom." Olive replied, ruffling Corri's hair. "She would be absolutely heartbroken that her innocent Snuffle was using such profanity."

Corrigan scoffed.  Clearly there was no way he was getting rid of his family nickname.

Time Skip...
Olive went into labor the next night.  Mya was only able to lend a few small words of comfort, before...

...little Adamaris was welcomed into the Dennis family.

Robert teared up a bit at the thought of becoming a grandparent (and had a realization how young of a grandfather he was); Sybil examined the baby to make sure it had the correct number of limbs (she would never admit it, but Olive's childhood prank of the "Three Legged Plague" still haunted her); Corrigan made a public observation of how small she was; and Mya couldn't get over the fact that her baby just gave birth to the next generation too early in her young life.

Despite the constant lack of sleep, Olive quite enjoyed her little daughter that she dubbed "Ada-Mar-Mar" (which Mya argued was not a nickname since it was longer than her real name, but Olive kept calling her it anyway).

But being with her daughter also cemented the fact that the one person that helped create her still didn't know she existed, not for lack of trying on Olive's part. 

She was finally able to reach Randy a week after their daughter was born.  His voice was gruff and he was clearly annoyed with Olive's constant calls, but he agreed to meet her at the Esplanade.

"Hey." Was all he said as soon as they met.

Olive ignored the insensitive manner in which he greeted her.  "Look, I'm here to tell you that you have a daughter.  Her name is Adamaris and I'm not expecting anything from you, I just want you to know that she exists."

"Yeah, I know." Randy scoffed.

"You knew? And you still ignored my calls?" Olive was on the brink of blowing a fuse.

"Look Olive.  I'm not fit to be a father.  I'm a high school drop-out and I come from a family of criminals.  Plus, things between us were never serious."

Olive couldn't believe what she was hearing. "Never serious?! We have a child together Randy, I think things just jumped into the 'serious' category."

"We had a child after a couple of meaningless flings. I'm sorry it happened, but there it is."

"Goddammit Randy.  Why the hell did you ask me to be your girlfriend then? Why pretend you care, when you really don't?"

Randy sighed. "I don't know.  Me and Laquita hit another rough patch and you were, well... willing. And beautiful, and just the kind of girl that I thought would help me forget her."

"So I was just a rebound then?  Some pity fuck for your own little pity party? Does Laquita know how much of a cheating bastard you are?"

Randy shrugged, obviously nonplussed by the questions and clearly not going to answer any of them.

"Fine!" Olive yelled. "We were clearly done from the beginning, so let me just make this official.  I don't want to see or hear from you, and that extends to Adamaris.  If, by some fucking miracle, you ever decide you actually want to meet your daughter then you better pray that I am in the forgiving mood because as of right now, you have officially given up all rights of being a parent to her.  You are right, you're not fit to be a father and I'll do everything in my power to make sure she doesn't have to find that out herself."

Randy, for the briefest of moments, looked dejected before replacing it with the nonchalant mask he had been donning throughout the whole conversation. "That would probably be best." He finally answered.

Olive nodded curtly and then turned away to head home, not wanting to spend anymore time in his presence, but Randy stopped her. "I am sorry Olive. You'll be a great mother."

Olive looked back and said: "Damn right I will be," before returning to the road that would take her home, and to her daughter.

When Olive returned home, she found her father taking a brief nap on his bed. "Daddy?" she asked hesitantly, "Can I talk to you?"

"Of course." He said, patting the empty space beside him in response.

"I told Randy about Adamaris." She began.

"So Randy is the father?" Robert knew his suspicions were correct.

"Yes."

"And will he be making any appearances in his daughter's life?" 

Olive shook her head. "Not even guest appearances."

Robert took a moment to contain his anger.  Olive was obviously hurt and him insulting Randy would only make the situation worse. "You have us." He said finally, "And Ada. That's all that matters."

Olive nodded. "I know dad... it's just..."

"You wanted Adamaris to have a father?"

"I wanted her to have what I have."

Robert reached over and cupped his daughter's hand in his.  It felt like only yesterday that he was singing lullaby's to her and now, here he was, breaking the news to her that life wasn't always fair.  "She will. She doesn't need a father to have the same upbringing as you; just a caring family who loves and supports her."

Olive smiled. "Thanks dad. For everything."

"Sure thing Ollie.  Now I believe there is a darling little baby that has been missing you for the last couple of hours."

Olive laughed. "You are just pawning her off on me. Admit it."

Rob shrugged. "I'm getting old. Give your dear dad a break."

Olive gave Robert a hug. "I love you dad."
"I love you too sweetheart."

The next day Corrigan brought home a butterfly for Olive, saying that it reminded him of her.

When Olive asked what he meant by that, he said "I saw it all alone... away from the other butterflies, and I thought that it needed a family.  Just like you needed us when you felt all alone."

Olive smiled at her brother, surprised by his insight. "Yeah, it does need a family.  It also needs a name... what do you think of Snuffle?"

Corrigan shook his head, clearly not pleased with Olive's mediocre attempt at humor.

"Okay, okay.  What about Aashritha?"

Corrigan scrunched his nose in confusion. "What does it mean?"

"Someone who gives shelter; just like our family."

"Where did you learn that?"

Olive shrugged. "From an Indian Studies class I took last semester."

"I like it." He concluded.

"Better than Snuffle?"

"Any name is better than Snuffle."
Olive laughed. "Then Aashritha it is."
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh my-lanta! Adamaris is seriously beautiful (she's a child in-game)! I have a feeling picking an heir might be hard this generation; it's a good thing Olive only pops out two kiddos.  If you want a spoiler, you can see what Ada looks like >>HERE<< 


Also, I feel *sort of* horrible saying this (not really), but Olive was an adorable pregnant teen.


In case it isn't obvious, I didn't really care for Randy.  He was quite mean to Olive in-game and they fought a shiz-ton (not to mention he was assigned as a "bully" with Twallan's Personalities and really did enter a local gang).  He reminded me of this >>Randy<< and I was not having that! So... I did away with him, for now.


Next up, Chapter Seventeen! I can't believe I'm this far already!

5 comments:

  1. D'aaaw Ada's spoiler pick is sooo adorable! I feel so sorry for Olive, but things will get better... I think. I don't know. You're pretty evil, so I fear what you've cooked up in your mind for Olive's future. O_o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olive will never be happy! *cue evil laugh*

    In all seriousness, things begin to look-up for her... eventually. That's still a few chapters from now though.

    And I LOVE Adamaris so much. She's my new Snuffle. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Adamaris' name. So pretty! And Snuffle's is so sweet to Olive. I know he's a bit off his rocker, but I love him anyway.

    And Randy... what a jerk! I wanted to kick his butt for being so rude to Olive. I'm glad to hear that things get better her in a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I picked Adamaris out of hat (I kid you not). I decided to "plan" their names ahead of time for this legacy and have picking names at random. It's actually pretty fun! And I'm glad you like it.

    I hated Randy. He was a huge dick-wad. Soooo glad to be rid of him.

    ReplyDelete