Generations

Thursday, August 4, 2011

1.7--Four Dennis's, One House, Mass Chaos



Olive and Sybil were getting along quite well, despite the lack of space in the Dennis household. 

Mya and Robert tended to laugh at the ridiculousness of their current set-up.  The potty was in the living room, where everyone would be able to partake in the bowel education of their children; and Mya would often squeeze herself and the two tykes into the living room so while she was teaching one, she could keep an eye on the other.

"Well at least Olive knows how to keep herself occupied." Mya thought to herself as she attempted to teach Sybil the "sophistication" of speech. "Toy-let... sound it out with me.... toooooyyyy-leeettt."

Sybil and Olive would often just stare blankly at Mya during their learning sessions leaving Mya wondering if her children either thought she was insane, or were planning an intricate coup of some sort.  "Don't play that cute card with me, I'll ground you both until you turn gray if you try anything sinister... now say it with me, tooooyyyy-leeeetttt...."  Mya laughed, "my children will never be able to take me seriously."


Because of their space issues, Robert would often work late hours hoping to make up for the lack of a second income while Mya was on maternity leave. 

"I'm heading to work, babe." Robert hated having to leave Mya alone with the two girls.  Especially since he would much rather be at home with them than out with the citizenry of Twinbrook who were most likely hiring him for another gnome incident.

"Again?"

"This one pays well and it was hard to pass up.  Hopefully enough to extend the girls' rooms before their birthday next week."

"Rob, be careful.  I'm more worried about you than the damn room.  I want my husband at home."

"I know," Robert sighed. "...but if I work hard this week, then I can get that promotion with a nice, hefty bonus. And then I won't have to work as hard."

Mya snickered. "Is that how promotions work these days? Just... promise me that if you get another gnome as a half-payment, you chuck it out the car window.  The one we already have is quite enough."

Robert laughed. "Cross my heart... next gnome I get will be set on our neighbors lawn, as a friendly... present?"

"I'm sure they'll appreciate the gesture. Bye honey... try to be home at a reasonable hour please."

Robert smiled and then headed out the door.

Despite the fact that Robert actually enjoyed his job (well, except for the current influx of gnome related investigations), he felt as if he was missing out on a lot of his daughter's early progress because of his demanding hours.  True, he did have a few days where he was working mostly from home, but those days were usually reserved for catching up on his lack of sleep.

Robert smirked, "If I don't get this promotion, I swear I'll kick every gnome I see out of spite."

After three dud cases that simply involved running around town and questioning a few suspects, Robert finally caught a small break with a case investigating a man that was supposedly stealing cars in order to sell the parts to racing companies.



After doing the usual mail-theft and dumpster diving song-and-dance, Robert composed a brilliant idea... to break into the suspects house.

... where he proceeded to steal a couch, a lamp... and a car.

"Hey... this guy's a criminal," Robert said trying to reason with himself over his recent crime spree. "Think of it as serving this guy a dose of his own medicine.  Or a backwards form of justice... or karma! Karma works in this case."  Apparently the irony of the situation was missed by Robert. 

After finishing up his last case (and earning his promotion), Dennis drove his newly-stolen car home.  It turns out the suspect was indeed stealing cars around town, so it was all fair game to Robert.  Plus, his family needed the car more than some two-bit burglar.  Although Robert wasn't above considering himself such at the moment.

As soon as Robert came home, he made his way to Mya hoping to surprise her with both his promotion... and their new transportation.

"Well," Robert started, "it's official, I'm a newly promoted Licensed Snoop."

Mya couldn't contain her excitement.  "So this means you'll be home more, right?  As much as I love my girls, talking with just kids all day is driving me bonkers."

Robert snickered.  "Ah, but I think your baby-talk is adorable.  Although it was getting a bit creepy in bed."

"Shut up." Mya said as she playfully slapped him on the arm. 

"There's something else..." Robert interjected, suddenly nervous of Mya's response.  Sure, they needed a car but he wasn't sure a stolen one would be received well by his wife. "We have a new car."

"I didn't think your bonus would be that big." Mya stated, noting the apprehension on Robert's face.

"It was certainly enough to finally build a new room for the little monsters... but not enough to buy a car.  I may have... stolen it. From a suspects house."

"Wait... you stole a car? A car? And... no one noticed this?"

"Well, the suspect is going to jail so it's highly unlikely he'll notice at least.  Plus, he was stealing cars himself so I figured I would help karma along... and you know, steal his?"  Robert felt ridiculous expressing his reasoning out loud.  

"Robert, honey.  I don't think stealing a criminals car is the way to 'help karma along.' I think having him arrested might have been enough to do that."

"You're right. I should go drive it back to his house..."

"Whoa..." Mya interrupted, "let's not get ahead of ourselves.  I mean, we do need the car more than he does, considering he is behind bars." Mya sighed, "All right, for the record, I am not condoning my husband becoming a criminal, but... I am willing to overlook the fact that our car is, technically criminally obtained, since we really need one right now. Just promise me no more stealing.  Especially now that we are examples to young and impressionable children."

"I promise."



"Good," Mya stated as she pulled Robert into a kiss. "I have to say, all this moral ambiguity going on right now is making me hot."

"You know, that just makes criminal activity all the more enticing."

"Let's get the girls to bed... and then go to bed ourselves," Mya stated suggestively.

"Deal!"

...And that night, Robert and Mya managed to get the girls ready for bed and in their cribs in record time.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Wut.



The Dennis family *really* needed a car and I was pulling my hair out trying to save up for one, and then this opportunity presented itself.  So, I took it... plus he was stealing everything else in the house at the time so why not the car? *eyebrow waggle*  

I played it off as Mya being surprisingly okay with it because of their current circumstances (even though they can definitely afford a car now lol).  Hey, if I'm willing to compromise my ethics, so should she. 


Robert *finally* made it to level 7 of the Investigator Career.  Congratulations on your promotion to Licensed Snoop Robert!


I kind of wanted to play up their financial situation a bit since, when I started this chapter, they only had about 12,000 to their names.  But, by the end they had 34,500-something, something... 0_0  I wasn't really watching their monetary progress for a good two hours of playing, but still... I have absolutely no idea how they managed to jump that much.  I'm definitely not complaining though since it gave them enough to finally build Sybil and Olive a suitable room when they become children (which is soon!).


Anyway, their financial situation is much better so it should be smooth sailing from here on out. *crosses fingers*

6 comments:

  1. Hmm, could've been the random lottery glitch... In which case, congrats! :)

    I laughed when Robert stole the car, but I thought Mya's reaction was particularly hilarious. Don't feel bad about it... I would have done the same thing if I'd been in your shoes. Excellent update, btw. I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised Robert was honest about his theft to Mya, lol.
    Great chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @buckely It totally was! I went back in-game and went through the SP logs and found one that stated the Dennis's got $11,000. I've never gotten this before!

    @yangthecat To be honest, so was I, considering his past track record with telling Mya about his "work duties." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, don't get used to the lottery, since it was "fixed" in the latest update of SP. =(

    I loved Robert's reasoning for stealing the car, that's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crap! I updated before I read your comment. Oh well. I'll just make sure not to be a spendthrift over the generations since my luck has apparently run out. *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, Robert stole a car! Awesome. I never knew PIs had the option to steal things when breaking into homes. I should definitely use that career more often. >:)

    ReplyDelete